Connector to support old Postgres (pre v9.3x)

Very common for projects to be running very old versions of storage systems, with no change or update in sight. I’d be tempted to work on a connector for postgres DBs pre version v9.3.x (which is the earliest version that the current connector supports) / compatibility for those DBs with the current connector.

Could anyone explain the significance of the difference between those postgres versions and how much work I should expect that to take?

Hi George,

Thank you for creating this question, and for your interest in the Postgres connector. We have not looked into old Postgres versions. Here is my take on the two questions.

how much work I should expect that to take?

I think that the fastest way to know how much work there will be is to try the current connector with an old Postgres version, see what breaks, and fix them one by one. Given that the Postgres connector uses JDBC to communicate to the database, my guess is that it will mostly work.

the significance of the difference between those postgres versions

I think the source of truth lives in documentations like these:

These documentations are too detailed, and most of them are irrelevant.

So I’d recommend just try the current connector and see what does or does not work with real servers.

Hi there from the Community Assistance team.
We’re letting you know about an issue we discovered with the back-end process we use to handle topics and responses on the forum. If you experienced a situation where you posted the last message in a topic that did not receive any further replies, please open a new topic to continue the discussion. In addition, if you’re having a problem and find a closed topic on the subject, go ahead and open a new topic on it and we’ll follow up with you. We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your willingness to work with us to provide a supportive community.