Issue with S3 integration using ARN and region

Summary

Users facing issues while trying to integrate S3 using ARN and region, seeking confirmation on compatibility

Question

I cannot use S3 with an ARN and region. It fails and there’s google results saying that this integration does not work with ARNs. Can someone confirm?

This topic has been created from a Slack thread to give it more visibility.
It will be on Read-Only mode here. Click here if you want
to access the original thread.

Join the conversation on Slack

["s3-integration", "arn", "region", "compatibility", "connector"]

what type of ARN? a bucket ARN? a role ARN? the source requires a bucket name instead of an ARN (but that’s just a portion of the bucket ARN)

we’re using IAM auth, but without the role ARN. (attached a policy to the role that airbyte on EKS uses)

So I am a little confused. The role ARN will not work?

I don’t know that - I don’t have a use case where I need it. I can confirm that IAM auth works in general for the s3 source

So I have two different scenarios.

Scenario 2: I created a new role for Airbyte to assume. Took the ARN from that role instead of using the Client ID and Secret Key. This is the one that doesn’t work.

how do you deploy airbyte? you can’t just assume a role with a role arn alone - you need to already have AWS credentials of some variety (another user, instance profile, etc) that has permissions to assume your new role

We don’t deploy airbyte. I think the documentation mentions using the airbyte workspace in the role or something like that.

Scenario 1: I have an S3 bucket. I generated a secret key and access ID from IAM in AWS. I used the bucket name. That works fine.

We gave the bucket name.