Issues with logs in UI and AWS S3 exceptions

Summary

User is facing issues with logs in UI and AWS S3 exceptions in Airbyte

Question

Hi everyone! New to Airbyte, facing a few issues with logs in UI as well as some AWS S3 exceptions. Will provide details in thread. Thanks!

This topic has been created from a Slack thread to give it more visibility.
It will be on Read-Only mode here. Click here if you want
to access the original thread.

Join the conversation on Slack

["issues", "logs-in-ui", "aws-s3", "exceptions", "airbyte-platform"]

I’ve deployed Airbyte using helm to EKS.
Upon setting up some test connections we noticed exceptions in DD as well as absence of some logs in UI

Exceptions like these:

Caused by: com.amazonaws.SdkClientException: Unable to load AWS credentials from any provider in the chain: [EnvironmentVariableCredentialsProvider: Unable to load AWS credentials from environment variables (AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID (or AWS_ACCESS_KEY) and AWS_SECRET_KEY (or AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY)), SystemPropertiesCredentialsProvider: Unable to load AWS credentials from Java system properties (aws.accessKeyId and aws.secretKey), WebIdentityTokenCredentialsProvider: Unable to find a region via the region provider chain. Must provide an explicit region in the builder or setup environment to supply a region., com.amazonaws.auth.profile.ProfileCredentialsProvider@5209f548: profile file cannot be null, com.amazonaws.auth.EC2ContainerCredentialsProviderWrapper@576a634e: Unauthorized (Service: null; Status Code: 401; Error Code: null; Request ID: null; Proxy: null)]

com.amazonaws.AmazonServiceException: Unauthorized (Service: null; Status Code: 401; Error Code: null; Request ID: null; Proxy: null)```
They all come from ‘airbyte-container-orchestrator’ 
The connections/jobs went through just fine. I suspect that these errors are from Airbyte trying to push the logs to S3?

Here is my helmfile
```global:
  serviceAccountName: "airbyte"

# -- Environment variables
  env_vars: 
    AWS_REGION: us-west-2
    DD_SERVICE: airbyte-job
    DD_SOURCE: airbyte-job

storage:
    type: s3
    bucket:
      log: data-airbyte-external-logs
      state: data-airbyte-external-logs
      workloadOutput: data-airbyte-external-logs
      activityPayload: data-airbyte-external-logs

s3:
      region: "us-west-2" 

serviceAccount:
  create: false
  annotations: 
    eks.amazonaws.com/role-arn: arn:aws:iam::117314662416:role/airbyteAppIrsa
  name: airbyte

Is there anything I’ve missed here?
When I check the bucket in AWS I see the following:
3 folders: / , app-logging/ , job-logging/
Each of them have folders/objects inside. So Airbyte clearly was able to push objects using the IRSA role.

The other problem is that in the Airbyte UI in the logs view I see only platform logs. Nothing for the rest (source/destinations, etc)
Not sure if this is related somehow.

I’m using the 0.263.0 helm release.
I haven’t set any AWS_KEYs vars in any workloads since I intend to use an IRSA role and not a user.

Also, setting AuthenticationType like mentioned https://docs.airbyte.com/deploying-airbyte/integrations/storage|here doesn’t seems to make any difference. No diff shows when running “helmfile apply”