• OS Version / Instance: MacOS
  • Memory / Disk: 16Gb / 1 Tb
  • Deployment: Docker
  • Airbyte Version: 0.40.10
  • Source name/version: adhamsuliman/source-call-rail
  • Destination name/version: dev
  • Step: The issue is happening during sync

Description:

Hello, I’m in the process of implementing my first custom source for Call Rails. I’ll first discuss what I’ve accomplished and then provide details as to where I’m stuck.

Accomplished thus far:

• created a Python HTTP API Source
  • created secrets/config.json
  • created source.py
class CallRailStream(HttpStream, ABC):
    url_base = "https://api.callrail.com/v3/a/"

def __init__(self, authenticator, config: Mapping[str, Any], **kwargs):
        super().__init__(authenticator=authenticator, **kwargs)
        self.access_key = config["access_key"]
        self.account_id = config["account_id"]

def next_page_token(self, response: requests.Response) -> Optional[Mapping[str, Any]]:
        """
        TODO: Override this method to define a pagination strategy. If you will not be using pagination, no action is required - just return None.

This method should return a Mapping (e.g: dict) containing whatever information required to make paginated requests. This dict is passed
        to most other methods in this class to help you form headers, request bodies, query params, etc..

For example, if the API accepts a 'page' parameter to determine which page of the result to return, and a response from the API contains a
        'page' number, then this method should probably return a dict {'page': response.json()['page'] + 1} to increment the page count by 1.
        The request_params method should then read the input next_page_token and set the 'page' param to next_page_token['page'].

:param response: the most recent response from the API
        :return If there is another page in the result, a mapping (e.g: dict) containing information needed to query the next page in the response.
                If there are no more pages in the result, return None.
        """
        return None

def request_params(
        self, stream_state: Mapping[str, Any], stream_slice: Mapping[str, any] = None, next_page_token: Mapping[str, Any] = None
    ) -> MutableMapping[str, Any]:
        """
        TODO: Override this method to define any query parameters to be set. Remove this method if you don't need to define request params.
        Usually contains common params e.g. pagination size etc.
        """
        return stream_slice

class Calls(CallRailStream):
    """
    TODO: Change class name to match the table/data source this stream corresponds to.
    """

# TODO: Fill in the primary key. Required. This is usually a unique field in the stream, like an ID or a timestamp.
    primary_key = "id"

def path(
        self, stream_state: Mapping[str, Any] = None, stream_slice: Mapping[str, Any] = None, next_page_token: Mapping[str, Any] = None
    ) -> str:
        """
        TODO: Override this method to define the path this stream corresponds to. E.g. if the url is https://example-api.com/v1/customers then this
        should return "customers". Required.
        """
        return f"{self.account_id}/calls.json?"

def parse_response(self, response: requests.Response, **kwargs) -> Iterable[Mapping]:
        """
        TODO: Override this method to define how a response is parsed.
        :return an iterable containing each record in the response
        """
        for d in response.json()['calls']:
            yield d #["calls"]

# Source
class SourceCallRail(AbstractSource):
    def check_connection(self, logger, config) -> Tuple[bool, any]:
        """
        TODO: Implement a connection check to validate that the user-provided config can be used to connect to the underlying API

See https://github.com/airbytehq/airbyte/blob/master/airbyte-integrations/connectors/source-stripe/source_stripe/source.py#L232
        for an example.

:param config:  the user-input config object conforming to the connector's spec.yaml
        :param logger:  logger object
        :return Tuple[bool, any]: (True, None) if the input config can be used to connect to the API successfully, (False, error) otherwise.
        """
        return True, None

def streams(self, config: Mapping[str, Any]) -> List[Stream]:
        """
        TODO: Replace the streams below with your own streams.

:param config: A Mapping of the user input configuration as defined in the connector spec.
        """
        auth = TokenAuthenticator(token=config["access_key"])  # Oauth2Authenticator is also available if you need oauth support
        headers = {"Authorization": f"Token token={config['access_key']}"}

response = requests.get("https://api.callrail.com/v3/a.json", headers=headers)
        response.raise_for_status()
        # Calls(authenticator=auth, config=config),
        return [Calls(authenticator=auth, config=config)]
  • created integration_tests/configured_catalog.json and schemas/calls.json.
  • able to spec, discover, and read against the desired “calls” endpoint.
    • I understand that the calls.json file should contain properties within the first layer of the dictionary, but the read function only works when I provide the properties key in the third layer of the dictionary.
{
  "streams": [
    {
      "stream": {
        "name": "calls",
        "json_schema" : {
           "$schema": "https://apidocs.callrail.com/calls",
           "type": "object",
           "properties": {
  • Whereas throughout the documentation, I see all the other schema files removing the first 3 keys found resulting in:
{
     "$schema": "https://apidocs.callrail.com/calls",
      "type": "object",
      "properties": {

When I attempt to sync the data, I can see the data coming through with 21 records. I can see the raw source table created in my destination database as well.

The error that I’m running into leads me to believe that there is something wrong with my json schema. I’ve attached the error log below.

KeyError: "'json_schema'.'properties' are not defined for stream calls"

call_rail_error_logs.txt (133.0 KB)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello there! You are receiving this message because none of your fellow community members has stepped in to respond to your topic post. (If you are a community member and you are reading this response, feel free to jump in if you have the answer!) As a result, the Community Assistance Team has been made aware of this topic and will be investigating and responding as quickly as possible.
Some important considerations that will help your to get your issue solved faster:

• It is best to use our topic creation template; if you haven’t yet, we recommend posting a followup with the requested information. With that information the team will be able to more quickly search for similar issues with connectors and the platform and troubleshoot more quickly your specific question or problem.
  • Make sure to upload the complete log file; a common investigation roadblock is that sometimes the error for the issue happens well before the problem is surfaced to the user, and so having the tail of the log is less useful than having the whole log to scan through.
  • Be as descriptive and specific as possible; when investigating it is extremely valuable to know what steps were taken to encounter the issue, what version of connector / platform / Java / Python / docker / k8s was used, etc. The more context supplied, the quicker the investigation can start on your topic and the faster we can drive towards an answer.
  • We in the Community Assistance Team are glad you’ve made yourself part of our community, and we’ll do our best to answer your questions and resolve the problems as quickly as possible. Expect to hear from a specific team member as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Best,
The Community Assistance Team

Hi @adhamsuliman,

Would you be able to developing this connector with our new low-code CDK? We’re running a Hacktober event this month and making this available to the community :slight_smile: it’s more straightforward than the typical process of creating a Python connector and might help you avoid errors like this.
Docs here:
https://docs.airbyte.com/connector-development/config-based/low-code-cdk-overview/