Running connector docker image with catalog as NoneType

I’m currently building Workday connector using Singer-tap. I discovered the configured_catalog.json that matches the ConfiguredAirbyteCatalog format. When I sync data with command
docker run --rm -v $(pwd)/secrets:/secrets -v $(pwd)/integration_tests:/integration_tests airbyte/source-workday-singer:dev read --config /secrets/config.json --catalog /integration_tests/configured_catalog.json,

I got the error msg:

y@y source-workday-singer % docker run --rm -v $(pwd)/secrets:/secrets -v $(pwd)/integration_tests:/integration_tests airbyte/source-workday-singer:dev read --config /secrets/config.json --catalog /integration_tests/configured_catalog.json
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "INFO", "message": "Starting discover"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "INFO", "message": "Downloading XSD to determine table schema \"INT_DWH_Publisher_Combined_Journal_Lines_Report\"."}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "INFO", "message": "Finished discover"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "INFO", "message": "Starting sync."}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "CRITICAL 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_selected_streams'\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "Traceback (most recent call last):\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "  File \"/usr/local/bin/tap-workday-raas\", line 8, in <module>\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "    sys.exit(main())\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "  File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/singer/utils.py\", line 229, in wrapped\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "    return fnc(*args, **kwargs)\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "  File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tap_workday_raas/__init__.py\", line 55, in main\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "    do_sync(args.config, args.catalog, args.state)\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "  File \"/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/tap_workday_raas/__init__.py\", line 30, in do_sync\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "    for stream in catalog.get_selected_streams(state):\n"}}
{"type": "LOG", "log": {"level": "ERROR", "message": "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_selected_streams'\n"}}
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/airbyte/integration_code/main.py", line 13, in <module>
    launch(source, sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/airbyte_cdk/entrypoint.py", line 117, in launch
    for message in source_entrypoint.run(parsed_args):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/airbyte_cdk/entrypoint.py", line 108, in run
    for message in generator:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/airbyte_cdk/sources/singer/singer_helpers.py", line 168, in read
    for line, text_wrapper in SingerHelper._read_lines(p):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/airbyte_cdk/sources/singer/singer_helpers.py", line 202, in _read_lines
    raise Exception(f"Underlying command {process.args} failed with exit code {process.returncode}")
Exception: Underlying command tap-workday-raas --config /tmp/tmp61loj8ts/config.json --properties singer_rendered_catalog.json  failed with exit code 1

I tried to do the discover and sync data in tap-workday-raas directory following this, and it successed. However, the output properties.json file from discover has different format from the configure_catalog.json that is genereated by docker (properties.json has “stream” field of string, but configured_catalog.json has “stream” field must be a map).
My configured_catalog.json looks like this:

The properties.json is like this

Hi Yifan,
Could you please assign this issue to yourself if you are working on this connector?
Did you try to use the output of the discover command to build the configured_catalog.json ?
I would suggest you give a look to other singer-based connectors to check how they manage this, such as source-kustomer-singer
I would also help for debuggingging if you could open a draft PR on our repo so that we can pull your branch and try to reproduce this problem on our side too.

I used docker to get the configured_catalog.json from discover command, but the format is not ready-to-use. Thus, I reformated it according to the one in source-kustomer-singer and there’s no format error. I cannot get the configured_catalog.json by running python main.py discover --config secrets/config.json as this and I cannot have base_python.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Are you making headways or are you blocked by this issue?

I cannot use from base_python.entrypoint import launch since I cannot install base_python package. Or which package shall I install so that I can use base_python?
So I used docker to check and discover, it worked. My problem is still the READ process in which I have the correctely formated configured_catalog.json in my command, but it’s recognized None.

Could you please open a draft PR so that I can try to reproduce this problem and try to debug this?
We do not have a Workday account at the moment, but if you open a PR our team will try to create one to run the acceptance tests. Nevertheless, without an account, I should still be able to reproduce your problem as I think the error is raised before reading data from the API.

I drafted a PR here.