Trouble accessing Airbyte deployed on private Azure instance locally

Summary

User is facing issues accessing Airbyte deployed on a private Azure instance locally, despite trying various recommendations such as modifying the install command and updating /etc/hosts. They also encountered errors when trying to modify the ingress directly.

Question

Has anyone successfully been able to deploy to a private Azure instance and accessed Airbyte locally?

I am attempting to deploy Airbyte on an Azure (ubuntu) instance on a private network using the new abctl local install command. However, when trying access from my local machine, I keep receiving a nginx 404 Not Found error. I have found several recommendations suggesting to add --host airbyte.local to the install command, then updating /etc/hosts with x.x.x.x airbyte.local where x.x.x.x is the Private IP of the Azure machine. This does not seem to work for me.

I also found resources which suggested to modify the ingress with the IP directly using kubectl edit ingress -n airbyte-abctl --kubeconfig ~/.airbyte/abctl/abctl.kubeconfig. However, this returned the following error and I do not have and FQDN to use:

# * spec.rules[0].host: Invalid value: "x.x.x.x": must be a DNS name, not an IP address```
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, still a bit new to this but I recall the Docker Compose method being pretty straightforward without any additional modifications to access once the containers were started.

<br>

---

This topic has been created from a Slack thread to give it more visibility.
It will be on Read-Only mode here. [Click here](https://airbytehq.slack.com/archives/C021JANJ6TY/p1724329376390029) if you want 
to access the original thread.

[Join the conversation on Slack](https://slack.airbyte.com)

<sub>
["private-azure-instance", "abctl-local-install", "nginx-404-error", "ingress-modification", "docker-compose"]
</sub>

Are you only creating a network rule to allow access to the <PRIVATE_IP>:8000?

There shouldn’t be any network rules like that that I’m aware of. For example, I have two other apps running in docker containers on the same resource that are accessible from port 3000 and 9000. I even had the docker based deployment running on this same instance at one point in time and could access locally from <PRIVATE_IP>:8000.

I answered in the ask-ai thread as well, but make sure that you update the /etc/host file on the machine that you are attempting to make requests to airbyte with. You need to be able to resolve airbyte.local on the machine that you use to access Airbyte.

<@U07C8CCC68Y> I updated host in my local machine but I am still facing nginx not found issue. Can you let me know if I am doing something wrong here