• OS Version / Instance: amazon-linux-2
  • Memory / Disk: 8GB memory / 200GB disk
  • Deployment: docker
  • Airbyte Version: * 0.40.3
  • Source name/version: Google Analytics Data API
  • Destination name/version: Redshift
  • Step: Creating a new source
  • Step: New Source
  • Description: I recently created a new connection using the Google Analtyics Data API source to pull in our GA4 data. So far all my initial runs have failed and I am seeing an exhausted property token error. I’ve looked through old issues, and any documentation I can find, but can’t figure out the issue. Attached are the logs of my most recent failed run.
    logs-2483.txt (144.5 KB)

Hello there! You are receiving this message because none of your fellow community members has stepped in to respond to your topic post. (If you are a community member and you are reading this response, feel free to jump in if you have the answer!) As a result, the Community Assistance Team has been made aware of this topic and will be investigating and responding as quickly as possible.
Some important considerations that will help your to get your issue solved faster:

• It is best to use our topic creation template; if you haven’t yet, we recommend posting a followup with the requested information. With that information the team will be able to more quickly search for similar issues with connectors and the platform and troubleshoot more quickly your specific question or problem.
  • Make sure to upload the complete log file; a common investigation roadblock is that sometimes the error for the issue happens well before the problem is surfaced to the user, and so having the tail of the log is less useful than having the whole log to scan through.
  • Be as descriptive and specific as possible; when investigating it is extremely valuable to know what steps were taken to encounter the issue, what version of connector / platform / Java / Python / docker / k8s was used, etc. The more context supplied, the quicker the investigation can start on your topic and the faster we can drive towards an answer.
  • We in the Community Assistance Team are glad you’ve made yourself part of our community, and we’ll do our best to answer your questions and resolve the problems as quickly as possible. Expect to hear from a specific team member as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Best,
The Community Assistance Team

Hello, thanks for providing logs and a thorough description of the behaviour. Is this still affecting your runs?

It’s odd that this would happen on the initial run as it’s saying that the API token has hit its quota. Could you check whether you’re using the same API token for a different project that’s exhausting the quota?

You can also ask the API to return the current quota status by adding "returnPropertyQuota": true to the request body. There’s a blue “Try it!” button on the top left of this page where you can test this, if you input your request parameters in there including returnPropertyQuota could you let me know what it returns? https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/data/v1/rest/v1beta/properties/runReport

@sh4sh After starting another airbyte run we ran this in the request body, we went to Google Analytics Data API (GA4)

In the Request Parameters for property we input (I am being very explicit just to help anyone else in the future trying to figure this out.) ,

properties/<NUMERIC PROPERTY ID>

Here is a working Request Body,

{
  "returnPropertyQuota": true,
  "dateRanges": [
    {
      "startDate": "2022-09-16",
      "endDate": "2022-09-16",
      "name": "blah"
    }
  ],
  "metrics": [
    {
      "name": "conversions",
      "expression": "eventCount",
      "invisible": false
    }
  ]
}

We started hitting the endpoints every few seconds and did see the tokens decrease. After seeing airbytes logs pasted below we still had remaining credits.

2022-09-16 22:03:34 INFO i.a.w.g.DefaultReplicationWorker(lambda$getReplicationRunnable$6):339 - Records read: 1000 (222 KB)
2022-09-16 22:03:45 INFO i.a.w.g.DefaultReplicationWorker(lambda$getReplicationRunnable$6):339 - Records read: 2000 (574 KB)
2022-09-16 22:04:15 INFO i.a.w.g.DefaultReplicationWorker(lambda$getReplicationRunnable$6):339 - Records read: 3000 (938 KB)
2022-09-16 22:04:22 source > Backing off _send(...) for 5.0s (airbyte_cdk.sources.streams.http.exceptions.DefaultBackoffException: Request URL: https://analyticsdata.googleapis.com/v1beta/properties/297494425:runReport, Response Code: 429, Response Text: {
  "error": {
    "code": 429,
    "message": "Exhausted property tokens for a project per hour. These quota tokens will return in under an hour. To learn more, see https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/data/v1/quotas",
    "status": "RESOURCE_EXHAUSTED"
  }

This is the API endpoint results after seeing the above error code in the log.

{
  "metricHeaders": [
    {
      "name": "conversions",
      "type": "TYPE_INTEGER"
    }
  ],
  "rows": [
    {
      "metricValues": [
        {
          "value": "5327"
        }
      ]
    }
  ],
  "rowCount": 1,
  "metadata": {
    "currencyCode": "USD",
    "timeZone": "America/New_York"
  },
  "propertyQuota": {
    "tokensPerDay": {
      "consumed": 3,
      "remaining": 23697
    },
    "tokensPerHour": {
      "remaining": 3697
    },
    "concurrentRequests": {
      "remaining": 10
    },
    "serverErrorsPerProjectPerHour": {
      "remaining": 10
    },
    "potentiallyThresholdedRequestsPerHour": {
      "remaining": 120
    },
    "tokensPerProjectPerHour": {
      "remaining": 1247
    }
  },
  "kind": "analyticsData#runReport"
}

During the run about 1300ish credits were legitimately used, but there seems to be plenty remaining. We definitely are using the correct property id with airbyte and this quota request.

Hey, just found this: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/245143800

Could you check in with their team and see if they can tell if you are affected by this issue?

Thank you I will look into it!

Hello there! You are receiving this message because none of your fellow community members has stepped in to respond to your topic post. (If you are a community member and you are reading this response, feel free to jump in if you have the answer!) As a result, the Community Assistance Team has been made aware of this topic and will be investigating and responding as quickly as possible.
Some important considerations that will help your to get your issue solved faster:

• It is best to use our topic creation template; if you haven’t yet, we recommend posting a followup with the requested information. With that information the team will be able to more quickly search for similar issues with connectors and the platform and troubleshoot more quickly your specific question or problem.
  • Make sure to upload the complete log file; a common investigation roadblock is that sometimes the error for the issue happens well before the problem is surfaced to the user, and so having the tail of the log is less useful than having the whole log to scan through.
  • Be as descriptive and specific as possible; when investigating it is extremely valuable to know what steps were taken to encounter the issue, what version of connector / platform / Java / Python / docker / k8s was used, etc. The more context supplied, the quicker the investigation can start on your topic and the faster we can drive towards an answer.
  • We in the Community Assistance Team are glad you’ve made yourself part of our community, and we’ll do our best to answer your questions and resolve the problems as quickly as possible. Expect to hear from a specific team member as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Best,
The Community Assistance Team

@sh4sh this is the response I received from the google analytics team.

I just want to circle back on this. The team mentioned that today, the project ([project_num]) & property ([property_num]) pair sent 2 request a second between “2022-10-16 13:04:51.352616-07” and “2022-10-16 13:05:42.411750-07”. Each one of those requests consume between 8 and 13 tokens, 119 requests consuming 8 to 13 tokens each totals to 1250 tokens. This exhausted the “Core Tokens Per Project Per Property Per Hour”.

Looking at the logs, it appears that you are pulling date & active28DayUsers for 2 days (i.e. 2022-05-27 and 28), and then 0.5 seconds later, pulling date & active28DayUsers for the next 2 days (i.e. 2022-05-29 and 30). We recommend that you send a larger date range as it tends to use fewer quota tokens than multiple requests with smaller date range. i.e. 1 request for 10 days rather than 5 requests for 2 days each.

@resford did you figure it out? I just did an initial run and have the same issue.

I’m going to try increasing the “Data request time increment in days” from 1 to 30 and rerun after the quota resets.

I am also running into a similar issue when pulling a single schema from GA4. Error seems to be “Failure Origin: source, Message: Exhausted property tokens for a project per hour. These quota tokens will return in under an hour.” I’d be interested to find how to get around this issue as I do not believe this replication would exhaust the tokens.

If possible, please let me know what data request increment has worked for you.
Thanks.

1 Like

Increasing the “Data request time increment in days” from 1 to 30 worked for me.

1 Like