Using MariaDB with CDC and deduped feature

Hi All,

I have a question regarding integration with one of MySQL flavours - MariaDB. Is there anyone who knows about possibility of using CDC feature with it?
My doubt is that MySQL has binlog and CDC included in its own engine, so you get it right away since the very beginning, with MariaDB there’s another case as you can turn on binlog on database itself, but when you want to leverage CDC, you need to setup separate service (MaxScale) that is placed on another port than database itself. Airbyte doesn’t provide a functionality of selecting port for CDC, so it’s hard to understand if this is even possible to be done with MariaDB. Glad to hear your suggestions!

Ps. Debezium (which u use) itself says, that it needs just a binlog to read and parse, but still it doesn’t help me to understand whether it is enough and so far tests are not successfull :<

Airbyte uses Debezium to sync records with CDC feature enabled. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone who test it with MariaDB. Why do you need to select a different port for CDC?

Cause, when you use MariaDB you cannot enable CDC as a regular feature. You need to set up an extra protocol called MaxScale on a separate port which is connected to database. In MySQL it’s build into its own engine, with MariaDB it’s let’s say an “extra layer”.

Ok, there’s a chance that I’ve misunderstood a concept of CDC itself. As I think it should work with MariaDB with binlog enabled. However when I configure airbyte connection, I get error from attached logs. What we think is the main problem, you can find in line 2282-2286 where it says about some failure of JSON schema validation.

logs-155.txt (1.6 MB)

2022-06-28 09:18:49 e[44msourcee[0m > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.kafka.connect.errors.ConnectException: Error reading MySQL variables: The server time zone value 'CEST' is unrecognized or represents more than one time zone. You must configure either the server or JDBC driver (via the 'serverTimezone' configuration property) to use a more specific time zone value if you want to utilize time zone support.

Looks you need to configure MariaDb https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49518683/the-server-time-zone-value-cest-is-unrecognized

Took me a moment, but I managed to change database timezone. It seems to be configured properly now, nonetheless now it looks like debezium cannot handle parsing one of my DDL’s. I saw on stack overflow that there were already issues like that solved by debezium in their library, but cannot tell how it works with your tool. I’m sending logs for a closer look.

Ps. Deleting a table is not a solution :grin:
logs-195.txt (1.3 MB)

Hey guys! Any news about it? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi there from the Community Assistance team.
We’re letting you know about an issue we discovered with the back-end process we use to handle topics and responses on the forum. If you experienced a situation where you posted the last message in a topic that did not receive any further replies, please open a new topic to continue the discussion. In addition, if you’re having a problem and find a closed topic on the subject, go ahead and open a new topic on it and we’ll follow up with you. We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your willingness to work with us to provide a supportive community.