Using source and destination connectors without web app

• Is this your first time deploying Airbyte?: Yes
  • OS Version / Instance: MacOS
  • Memory / Disk: 16Gb / 500Gb
  • Deployment: Docker
  • Airbyte Version: What version are you using now?
  • Source name/version: Google As
  • Destination name/version: Postgres
  • Step: sync
  • Description:

Hi,

I’m trying to use the source and destination connectors without the web app. In my example, I’m taking data from Google Ads, using the Google Ads source, and into a local Postgres DB.

On the source side, everything works fine:
docker run --rm -v $(pwd)/secrets:/secrets -v $(pwd)/integration_tests:/integration_tests sigma-google-ads read --config /secrets/config.json --catalog /integration_tests/test_catalog.json > data.json

The data.json has all of the data I requested. My assumption was then, from reading the docs, that I could pipe the data.json to the destination connector and use it to send the data to postgres:
cat data.json | docker run --rm -v $(pwd)/secrets:/secrets -v $(pwd)/sample_files:/sample_files postgres-airbyte write --config /secrets/config.json --catalog /sample_files/configured_catalog.json

The connector creates the table in Postgres, but is empty.
I found a github issue similar to mine: No data is persisted when running source and destination when running connector image directly · Issue #7196 · airbytehq/airbyte · GitHub
But it seems to be open.
I’m sure I’m doing something wrong / stupid, but I’m a bit lost: what is the way to when run connector image directly, instead of through the app?

Regards,
Gui

Hey could you comment over the issue so that team can respond there?

Sure. Added a comment on that issue.

for future reference, if anyone else is lost, I was being dumb and forgot the -i, for docker to read from stdin the piped stream of json:
cat data.json | docker run --rm -i -v $(pwd)/secrets:/secrets -v $(pwd)/sample_files:/sample_files postgres-airbyte write --config /secrets/config.json --catalog /sample_files/configured_catalog.json.

Now it works just fine, and get the data in postgres.