Can't add custom parameters to s3 connection

  • Is this your first time deploying Airbyte?: No
  • OS Version / Instance: MacOS
  • Memory / Disk: you can use something like 4Gb / 1 Tb
  • Deployment: I’m using airbyte cloud
  • Airbyte Version: What version are you using now?
  • Source name/version: google ads
  • Destination name/version: s3
  • Step: sync
  • Description:

Hi support, I’m trying to set up s3 source and connection through airbyte api, the source and destination are created fine, but I ran into an issue when the connection is syncing data for the first time, below is the error from the log:

File "/airbyte/integration_code/source_s3/source_files_abstract/", line 61, in check_connection
    stream = self.stream_class(**config)
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'updated_at'

this is what the source looks like:

    "sourceDefinitionId": "source_Definition_id",
    "sourceId": "source_id",
    "workspaceId": "workspace_id",
    "connectionConfiguration": {
        "format": {
            "encoding": "utf8",
            "filetype": "csv",
            "delimiter": ",",
            "block_size": 10000,
            "quote_char": "\"",
            "double_quote": true,
            "infer_datatypes": true,
            "newlines_in_values": false
        "dataset": "dataset_name",
        "provider": {
            "bucket": "bucket_name",
            "aws_access_key_id": "**********",
            "aws_secret_access_key": "**********"
        "path_pattern": "**.csv",
        "updated_at": "2023-01-28 00:30:53.544"
    "name": "123456:s3_",
    "sourceName": "S3"

I understand this updated_at parameter is not part of standard s3 connection configuration, but my system has been creating sources for google ads/facebook with the exact same updated_at parameter which is also not part of the standard google ads/facebook source connection configurations and the syncing never had an issue with this, what’s special about s3 source that I can’t add additional parameters? Can I add additional parameters to s3 sources other than the standard ones? If so can you should me where I should put them? TIA!

Hello there! You are receiving this message because none of your fellow community members has stepped in to respond to your topic post. (If you are a community member and you are reading this response, feel free to jump in if you have the answer!) As a result, the Community Assistance Team has been made aware of this topic and will be investigating and responding as quickly as possible.
Some important considerations that will help your to get your issue solved faster:

  • It is best to use our topic creation template; if you haven’t yet, we recommend posting a followup with the requested information. With that information the team will be able to more quickly search for similar issues with connectors and the platform and troubleshoot more quickly your specific question or problem.
  • Make sure to upload the complete log file; a common investigation roadblock is that sometimes the error for the issue happens well before the problem is surfaced to the user, and so having the tail of the log is less useful than having the whole log to scan through.
  • Be as descriptive and specific as possible; when investigating it is extremely valuable to know what steps were taken to encounter the issue, what version of connector / platform / Java / Python / docker / k8s was used, etc. The more context supplied, the quicker the investigation can start on your topic and the faster we can drive towards an answer.
  • We in the Community Assistance Team are glad you’ve made yourself part of our community, and we’ll do our best to answer your questions and resolve the problems as quickly as possible. Expect to hear from a specific team member as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time and attention.
The Community Assistance Team

Google and Facebook both have the Incremental sync mode which uses the updated_at field. Probably you’re using full refresh with S3 one.

Thanks for the reply, actually I just tried to set the custom parameter to <COMPANY_NAME>_upadted_at which I doubt is the updated_at the google and facebook are using, but somehow I had no issue setting that parameter in google/facebook source connector